Friday, September 30, 2011

September 30, 2011

Mrs. Loertscher passed along a site that she found useful.  I use it also and it really helps.  We’re passing it along to you if you could find it useful.  The site is: http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

I also sent out by e-mail a wonderful site that has the stories we are covering in class on line.  It is a site from Singapore since that is where our Chinese Curriculum is out of, therefore it is all in Chinese, but please don’t let that intimidate you.  It is fairly easy to navigate and definitely worth the effort.  The site is: http://xuelle.edumall.sg/xuele/slot/u107/index1.html
The page that pops up is where you click the first oval that says 一 年 及。  That means first grade, but all of the state’s 2nd grades are covering the last half of that material.  When you click on it a bar will show.  You click on the bottom half “一 下“。 After that, you click on the top choice in the middle which will bring you to the story on the pink book that I sent home last week.  The children can read along with the audio.  It has pictures and good sound and is much better than the power point I made last week.  Go ahead and play with the site.  The other options are some fun games and review.  Let me know how you like it.

I went to a Dual Immersion Training again this week and found that many of the Chinese Teachers are giving 8 words and two sentences for vocabulary each week.  I feel like our children are very capable of doing that also and it will help them to accomplish the curriculum goals.  This week there will be only six words and two simple sentences to help them move into the longer list.

 I am in the process of compiling a list of all the characters we will be learning this year.  They are spread out between all the lessons we will cover and will take some time to compile, but I will try and get that to you sometime this coming week.

Last Thursday I sent home the “I Love America” Book.  It is yellow and they have illustrated their own book.  This story is also found on the Singapore site, however, it says, “I love Singapore!”  I translated it to have more meaning for our children.  Please let them read it to you.

I hope each child is feeling confident in the effort they are putting forth and having success.  Please always feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns (or even good things you notice ☺!)  Thank you!

Please remember that Parent Teacher Conference is October 12th and 13th most of you have signed up for a time. If you have not please sign up when you can. If you need help or have lost the letter about how to sign up you may email either of us and we will send home a new one. Please remember that both classes sign up with Mrs. Adams and you will be meeting with both of us. We look forward to meeting with you all. We both really enjoy teaching your children. They are doing very well and working hard. Thank you for your support.

Mrs. Adams and Mrs. Craven

1 comment:

  1. We spent a while wandering around the Better Chinese website this week, and it is great! Hopefully all of the parents are taking advantage of it. Shoot, I might even learn Chinese myself by the time I help Rachel navigate it.

    ReplyDelete